Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Turn of Phrase

When I first started writing and reporting, I used to record all my interviews and then transcribe later. Let me tell you, it was thankless. Grueling. Annoying. Tedious. Frustrating. Pain-in-the-ass, Etc.

As I became more comfortable interviewing, my fingers (which were typing at about 60 or 70 words per minute before) became more adept at keeping up with what my ears were hearing.

So now, I simply type along with the person to whom I'm speaking. Of course, there are fast talkers and slow talkers, slurrers of words and folks with extremely precise pronunciation. There are eloquent speakers and stammering, 'ummm' and 'uhhh'-ers who can't quite get the words to come out right.

So, sometimes my notes from an interview say something like this: "...functionality built in in the event of an event."

What?!

No comments:

Post a Comment